Whole School Events
1. Mid Autumn Festival Holiday & National Day Holiday – Sunday, 8th October
Our school’s Mid-Autumn Festival Holiday and National Day Holiday is observed from the 29th September to the 8th of October, 2023. We kindly remind you there is no school during these dates. School will begin again on Monday the 9th of October, 2023.
2. Blue Dragons Athletics – Games and Tournaments
The XLIS Blue Dragons, our school’s sports teams, have a number of upcoming games and tournaments in the month of October. These games and tournaments involve most of the student body, with students participating from P3 all the way to DP2. The whole community is invited to each event to cheer on our Blue Dragons!
· 11 October, 16:30-17:30 – U19 volleyball vs. Maple Leaf (home)
· 14 October, 10:00-12:00 – U14 basketball vs. Hanova (home)
· 14 October, 10:00-12:00 – U11 soccer vs Hanova (home)
· 14 October, 10:00-12:00 – U8 soccer vs Hanova (home)
· 18 October, 17:00-18:00 – U19 volleyball @ Maple Leaf (away)
· 21 October, 9:00-11:00 – U14 basketball @ Dehong (away)
· 21 October, 9:00-11:00 – U11 soccer @ Dehong (away)
· 21 October, 9:00-11:00 – U8 soccer @ Dehong (away)
· 28 October, 9:00-15:00 – U8/U11 Soccer Final Tournament @ Hanova (away)
3. PTA Core Members Meeting – Tuesday, 17th October
The October monthly PTA core members meeting of the school year will be held on Tuesday, October 17th, and we will notify all PTA members by email later on.
4. Progress Report – Friday, 20th October
Parents will receive the progress reports for the first quarter of the semester in October. These reports will a clear description of your child’s behavior and academic progress during this first quarter. Please read these reports with your child and be ready to discuss your concerns with the teachers during the three-way conferences which will follow.
5. Parent / Teacher Conference – Wednesday, 25th October
This is an opportunity for all parents and students to meet and have an individual conversation with the subject teachers. You are also welcomed to meet the school leadership should you have anything to share or any suggestions to make. We look forward to seeing all parents on that day.
Primary School Events
Each Friday one of our homeroom classes has the opportunity to showcase what they have been learning! This is a student-led event that is supported by the teachers. The parents of the class that is presenting will be invited to join the audience.
· 13th October, 14:40 – 15:25 – P5B, Blue Dragon Theater
· 20th October, 14:40 – 15:25 – P5C, Blue Dragon Theater
· 27th October, 14:40 – 15:25 – Mandarin LP, Blue Dragon Theater
2. Open Day for PYP3 / PYP4 – Wednesday, 11th October
This is the last session of our Open Days for the Primary School. This is an opportunity for parents to join their child’s class and to learn about the student’s daily school lives for a whole morning. We’ve collected the registration already and will send out the email reminder to all register parents after the National Holiday.
3. Parent Workshop (for PYP2 & PYP3) – Friday, 20th October
Parents will learn about the various methods used forformative and summative assessments and how they are put into practice. We willalso provide helpful strategies that parents can use at home to assist and support their child during the assessment process. Parents will be urged to reflect on their own experiences and share practical ideas that they can applyat home to guide their child effectively.
4. Literacy and Culture Week – Monday, 30th October – Friday, 3rd November
Literacy and Culture Week is one of the main events in the primary school. Our goal isto promote and develop a love of reading among our students. This year, our secondary is joining us in celebrating the event. Some of the highlights will be: inviting a storyteller from New Zealand, Buddy Reading, Book Character Parade, Arts Exhibit, inviting parents to read in class and various activities in different classes. The Literacy and Culture Week also highlights how to use different strategies and creativity in developing literacy.
Secondary School Events
1. Parent Workshop (for MYP5 & DP1) – Wednesday, 11th October
This is an important meeting and we will go over the assessments in the MYP and DP. There have always been queries about the scores that the students get in their reports, so we will take the opportunity to explain everything that is related to assessments. Parents, feel free to come with your questions and we will address them in the session.
2. Parent Workshop (for MYP1-MYP4) – Thursday, 19th October
Developing skills in our students is an important part of the IB programs. On this day, we will hold an interactive session with parents to develop a deeper understanding of the Approaches To Learning (ATL) that we address in our daily teaching at XLIS.
3. Literacy and Culture Week – Monday, 30th October – Friday, 3rd November
This is an important week for the whole school-in the Secondary Department we celebrate culture anddiversity through the learning that takes place in class. Just as we did last year, all teaches will look at literacy in their subjects and students will produce work that will reflect their literacy in their subject areas and address cultural diversity. We will post the work that our departments in our Secondary Section of our website.
Click here for more details.